Monday, November 19, 2012

Coming Out of the EDS Closet!


Like my awesome awareness shirt? I was so nervous in this picture. While taking an exam I noticed that one of the questions was matching EDS to it's definition. I contacted my teacher and said that in the future if she wanted me to speak with a class I would be more than happy too. Well, she jumped right on that offer and had me speak to my class this semester.  People couldn't figure out why I was so nervous. I tried to explain to them that it's really difficult to open up about my struggles and what I want people to know. My lovely mama had this super awesome shirt rush ordered for me from a local T-shirt shop. I wanted to have something with a Zebra ribbon on it to lead into a discussion about Medical Zebras. I also took one of my fellow EDS-er's advice and talked about the spoon theory. I don't remember everything I said because I'm a nervous talker but it was pretty cool.
I remember my teacher - who, keep in mind is an adorable red headed old lady with a British accent - says something to the extent of  "so college must be hard for you because when everyone else is going out you're dead". Oh yes, did I mention she's mighty blunt? :) Well, the whole class looked at her with an "I can't believe you just said that look" but ya know, that's a pretty close description of how it is. I wake up in the morning, slowly, do all that I need to for the day, do homework in the evening, take about 10 pills, then crash on my Tempurpedic bed surrounded by pillows that support various parts of my body. On a great day, I'll take a hot bath somewhere in there. There are a few times I can recall doing "normal" college activities and paying for it the next day. Or even for the next few days. I'm such an old lady. :) My point of this whole ditty is that it was like coming out of the HEDS closet in a big way. A few friends knew about it, some family, and I put a post about it once on Facebook but these people see my daily. I wasn't sure how they would react or if they would treat me differently. So far, so good. :) Hopefully I can do more awesome awareness activities in the future.

By the way, if you like those awesome jeans they are Rock 'n' Republic. They look amazing, fit amazing, and are worth the price. I got them at Kohls. :)

2 comments:

  1. That is great that you spoke like that in your group and the Tshirt is wonderful. I would need an XS, do you wear it out of the house? I think it was very good of your teacher to see the importance of talking about it. Kudos to her as well. PS. I have a "collection" of designer jeans, including rock and republic, but it is my New Years goal ( one of) to be able to wear jeans, as I have sensitization in my legs and everything has to be soft that touches them

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still am working on the confidence thing with wearing it out in public but I do wear it out. (And if you wear a jacket, they only see the striped ribbon ;) ) But see if you can get something designed at your local tshirt shop! All I did was go in and ask for a zebra ribbon and a phrase on the back. It's a lot cheaper than you think. However, if you look at one of my other posts I have a few premade tshirts listed and if you click on the link, it will take you to where you can order them.
    I'm glad you understand my love of these jeans :) ...and unfortunately understand the skin sensitivity. I have that in my back. Some days I can't have anything touch my back at all. I had to get a prescription for a cream that helps with it. Now it's not nearly as bad as before. Grace of God there. To kind of ease into the jean setting you might want to look into ANA jeans at JcPenny. They aren't designer but they are inexpensive and very very soft for jeans. That way if they don't work out you didn't spend too much on them ;) Good luck! Keep me updated!

    ReplyDelete