Monday, November 12, 2012

The Eyes

Connective tissues are everywhere in your body - not just in your joints. I've had problems with my eyes since I was young but every time I would come  back with either 20/20 vision or slightly farsighted. However, no one could figure out what was wrong with my vision. Before I was diagnosed I found an eye doctor that said my eye muscles were weak and I needed to exercise them. It did help but it didn't explain the sudden onset of blurred vision in one eye, why my eyes wouldn't focus together, or why my eyes shake when I'm tired. I even ended up driving about two and a half hours away to find an answer.
Eventually I found a wonderful doctor that does eye physical therapy. He told me that he could help with my vision problems but since there are connective tissues in the eyes that some of my problems were just EDS stuff that I will have to live with. He improved my vision through exercises so I didn't have to wear glasses to read and gave me exercises to keep in my PT book for when I have issues. He even informed me that people with EDS are prone to having dry eyes so getting an over-the-counter bottle of artificial tears would be beneficial. He also told me to get on a medicine to help with the muscle pain and get one for when I get optical migraines. Since then my eyes still spasm when I get really tired but when I have sudden pain and blurriness in one eye I just pop a nifty little pill and it takes it away. It also makes me sleep but heck, who doesn't need more sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment