Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Coping and How to Stay Awesome

I'm assuming that the process of finding out you have a disability is similar for everyone. For me, at first I was relieved that it wasn't all in my head. Everything made sense. I wasn't just cursed with clumsiness or illness. There was a genetic REASON for it. After that initial "aha" moment, comes the life style changes to makes sure you don't end up worsening your condition. That leads to sadness and anger. For a while I had a punching bag I would punch when I was really frustrated but my arms would fall out. *sigh* Should have seen that one coming. I was grieving the loss of the old me. So I decided to ask a counselor for some coping tips and ideas on how to still enjoy my life. There's no shame in counseling. I promise. I'm open about it so other people don't feel like they have to hide it.
Anywho. I started making a list of qualities I still have that make me awesome. ;) It makes you realize you're so much more than a disability. Another list I made was of things I CAN do. So what if I can't rock climb or even bowl... I'm still able to draw/paint, walk through the woods (aka mellow hiking), go fishing, and play an awesome game of Apples-to-Apples! If you don't know how to do some of these, I didn't always know either. I picked up fishing this year and am studying art on my free time. Picking up new hobbies is well worth it and makes you a more well rounded person in the long run.
Another problem I ran into is with friends. With EDS, it's so difficult to be a reliable person. You really can't plan ahead since you don't know if you will feel like sunshine or like a bus hit you going full speed down the high way. That means you are now the spontaneous friend! If you are feeling awesome, text everyone to see if they want to go out for the night. If you are sore, invite them over for a movie. No reason you have to go out while sore or give up a good night with friends. Show them your awesome new hobbies or old ones with adaptations. Throw paint at a canvas. Walk pets at the shelter. Bake brownies. :)
One last final note. Most everyone has heard the phrase "fake it 'till you make it". Well, do it. Even if you are feeling like you're falling apart make yourself feel 100%. Confidence goes a long way.
Stay blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment