Saturday, January 12, 2013

Food... Sort of...

Some people forget that the jaw is a joint, and in turn, can have the same difficulties as any other joint to a person with EDS. Personally, I have TMJ, a small overbite, and stretched ligaments in the joint itself. The big blow came when I got into a car accident a few years back and clenched my jaw. It popped the bugger right out on both sides.
So now, with 41 days until my jaw surgery, I figured I should start shrinking my stomach and start finding recipes that taste somewhat like a real meal. Soup is always a good place to start. I found some ones that are mainly broth and a couple that wouldn't be terrible blended. Applesauce is pretty much pre-chewed (*gross thought, I know) so that will do. I got a few nutritional drinks to try and so far the Vanilla Ensure is my top contender. In a packet of recipes sent with my pre-surgical information, I found a recipe where you blend peaches, juice, cinnamon  and nutmeg to make it taste like peach cobbler. Worth a shot, right? The thing I'm not looking forward to is the meat-based baby food. It said to mix bullion with it to thin it out and make it - well - bearable but I'm still a skeptic and working up the gusto to try it. So far I have the suggestion of cream of wheat and protein smoothies... any more ideas? Leave suggestions in the comment section below! Anything - no matter how crazy - is welcome! I'll be writing reviews and surgery updates for you all to follow. I had a hard time finding recipes so I'm going to try to compile as many as possible on here.
As always, stay blessed!  
(*Side note: I can't have dairy, but feel but free to post recipes or ideas for those who can though just as a resource!)

5 comments:

  1. http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/specex/msg0919274813496.html
    is a website with some idea of recipes for after your jaw surgery :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like some of your foods have milk in them. Better read labels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the concern! The way they make the ensure removes the lactose :) not every meal replacement drink is as nice so be careful and read up on products before trying them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I meant the spaghettios. I have a child with dairy issues and I read labels constantly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! I didn't even realize that! Thanks so much!
      I just developed that allergy so I'm new to it.
      I wouldn't expect there to be dairy in there.
      Nice save :)

      Delete