Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Things I Didn't Expect about Jaw Surgery...

1. The bloody nose. Apparently the way that the surgery is performed makes it so a lot of blood comes out of your nose. I mean a lot. Every time I moved to get up my nose would gush. Then it would make a nice little cave of crystals in my nose making it even harder to breathe... which already is quite the task with the swelling. For those of you not having the surgery done, imagine having a nice cold and not being able to really breathe out of your mouth. I imagine it's similar to drowning.

2. Not being able to blow my nose. Not because it's swollen, but because the stitches are all around the top of my gum line and the air gets under them and flaps and bubbles. Honestly, it's the weirdest sensation to try to describe. Afterword I could push on my cheeks to get the air out of them... then the nurse decided to tell me that blowing my nose wasn't a good plan. I feel that might have been something worth knowing prior to actually doing it.

3. Hearing my ear drums. The swelling got up into my ears to the point where when I move my head I can ear my giant ear drums hit the inside of my ears. It's the strangest thing. And I'm sure I'm driving everyone nuts because I can't hear anything below a quiet yell.

4. The incredible want for crunchy food. Seriously. Get over eating crunchy foods for a while and get used to just swallowing. What I would give to be able to eat a sandwich with pickles and chips on it right now...

5. The constant feeling like I'm about to cry. I knew there would be pressure under my eyes but this is ridiculous. I'm not sure if it's the swelling or the pain but even just sitting here I could bust out in tears for no particular reason at all.

6. How different food tastes. Everything is so spicy right now! Okay, baby food doesn't really have much flavor but when you start blending real food again expect a whole new flavor pallet. Going from bland to slightly-less bland is a big enough shock to the tongue but trying slightly spicy food is like POW!

No comments:

Post a Comment